• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Foul hooked fish

Just catching up here but over the few hundred barbel caught last year on an hook length over 3 foot I never had a foul hooked fish. My feeder mix is set to come out after 5 mins or so. Thinking about it over the years the only foul hooked barbel I have caught have been on the float. Now that's serious foul hooking territory imo. Always fish a blob of tungsten and this may help.

Blimey I didn't even catch '' a few hundred '' gudgeon last year never mind barbel :eek:. I once managed to lassoo a small barbel on the Wye whilst floatfishing .

John. Yes I guess normally thats about as long as I would expect mine to last except in flood conditions when I use it as additional weight and attractant that normally stays in.

Whats amazing is that cast into a very coloured river you sometimes get an immediate take.

Im sure this is the fishes reaction to an item in the flow to investigate with the mouth as much as any feed?

In my experience, it's very unusual to foul hook a barbel and the most likely causes are;

1) striking at line bites

2) the hook length being "hung up" in weed

I deep hooked a barbel last week. Only the second time that's happened in 40 odd years of barbel fishing...

Back