• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New licence, got one yet?

Very true Phil, there are some absolutely outstanding men out there on the ground, doing a sterling job. It's the ones who live in the ivory towers, and this shambles of a government that control them that are the problem in all of this. Sadly, the funding and manpower to do the sort of work you mention will cease to be shortly...the cuts will start to really take effect from now on I fear.

Cheers, Dave.

Well exactly Phil. I’m very happy to pay 50p a week and consider it money well spent. I think some people that like to moan, (oh how they moan) are perhaps missing the point and principle. The fact that it might never be checked is irrelevant. Not paying it is like shooting yourself in the foot in some ways. I’d like to think and encourage the idea that it’s time to start working with the EA closer, rather than carping from the outside to no effect.

No one has ever checked my TV licence ever, so should I stop paying it?

Well exactly Phil. I’m very happy to pay 50p a week and consider it money well spent. I think some people that like to moan, (oh how they moan) are perhaps missing the point and principle. The fact that it might never be checked is irrelevant. Not paying it is like shooting yourself in the foot in some ways. I’d like to think and encourage the idea that it’s time to start working with the EA closer, rather than carping from the outside to no effect.

No need to check the TV licence, if you don't have one, they come round to you.

Thought I would give the EA a bit of good publicity for a change.
The EA funded most of the habitat work carried out on one of Ringwood and district anglers Avon waters, they also provided the labour and equipment for stocking of Roach into the Avon by the Avon roach project.
I spoke to one of the EA guys who do the licence checks in this area, they have recently been cut from 6 to 2 enforcement officers, as the are only allowed to patrol in 2's that means if 1 of them is off the other cannot carry out enforcement checks. The area they cover is about 60 square miles and as well as covering the Avon, Stour and many other rivers it also includes the harbours including Christchurch and Poole, maybe not surprising that we don't often see one.
Once again it is all down to cut backs by the government, no matter what they say the facts are that without the labour to carry out the tasks they will not happen, a lot of the EA guys on the ground are anglers like us and would love to assist us but their hands are tied.
Well all i can say on this is I've been looking at ray waltons pictures of weed cutting in the Avon valley.:eek:

They know which addresses do have them, and therefore which don't. Detector vans visit areas but they don't go to addresses with licences, so unlikely you'll ever hear of anyone who's had one checked.

Back to topic : I ordered my EA licence on 31 March online, not received it yet.

They know which addresses do have them, and therefore which don't. Detector vans visit areas but they don't go to addresses with licences, so unlikely you'll ever hear of anyone who's had one checked.

Back to topic : I ordered my EA licence on 31 March online, not received it yet.

Detector vans...lol, just a normal van with Aerials on top and empty inside, they don't exist.

Detector vans...lol, just a normal van with Aerials on top and empty inside, they don't exist.

Same as the guy who checks our EA fishing licence .. well almost , 3 times in over 35 years .. its not good is it ... but what can they do? and why should poachers buy a licence ? you have all must of asked yourself's over the years ....WHY ?:mad:

I've no problem paying it provided the money gets used in the right areas, think they need to be more transparent as to where the money is spent. They're cutting the funding to the fishery department yet our licence cost the same, so where's that money going?

So i ordered mine 14th/4, got it today, maybe the money go's to the artist who paints a nice tench.

Paid for mine and my wifes in my local sub post office 3+ weeks ago. Still waiting, but as already stated, the receipts will suffice.

Looking at the link from the OP I am yet to make my mind up whether to get one or not. once again anglers and angling come way down the pecking order, unless its getting cash from them, pretty high up then.

On the Lower Severn Graham I've seen a lot more of them over the last couple of years. The last time was a Saturday evening in July, just into dark - so outside of normal 'office hours' and good to see. I wouldn't go without one, they are so cheap after all. (Got 2 innit ;) )

& I hear next year the front pic will be a Zander gorging itself on Salmon Parr .................

I had to wait for 3weeks fo mine to arrive it's the longest I've had to wait
as long as you keep the receipt you will be alright for 28 days until license comes

Bought mine last Thursday , recieved it today .

It's biblical...the first shall be last and the last shall be first. :)

I wonder if they just pile up the postal requests for weeks and then take the most recent arrivals and deal with them first?

I bought mine early chaps, always do before the rush so to speak. I understand people's apprehension not to as they haven't been checked since day one.

Back