• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New licence, got one yet?

It's biblical...the first shall be last and the last shall be first. :)

I wonder if they just pile up the postal requests for weeks and then take the most recent arrivals and deal with them first?

Anthony , I think you've hit the nail on the head mate, that's most probably what has happened .

Ordered mine mid March, arrived yesterday. 6/7 weeks. Why can,t it be like ( car road tax ? ) 12 months from when you buy it. It would save the normal annual rush. Lets be honest, if there was say, only 1, maybe 2 months of the season left, would you be willing to pay full price for a licence that was due to run out ?

Paid for mine at local Post Office, as usual, in March, and it was sent to my house in less than a week , as usual. Never been a problem. Mind you sometimes wonder why I bother, because it is over 15 years since I was asked for it.

Just received mine after a wait of just over 5 weeks. Read in the AM that a "printing problem" was experienced for licenses bought between March 16th and 31st, whatever that means.

Still waiting since the 26th March. When I rang they told me they should be delivered by last Thursday so I will contact them again today.

Mine finally arrived after several weeks of waiting. If the cuts to the EA budget have had this affect on something as simple as this....I dread to think what the future holds for angling.

Cheers, Dave.

Just take your receipt when you go, whats all the panic / fuss about.
everyone is issued with an individual number on the receipt that can easily be checked, so what are you all panicking about?

I don't think anyone's panicking, it's just that after having the current system in place for a few years now, the usual level of service has been well below par for whatever reason.

If the cuts to the EA budget have had this affect on something as simple as this....I dread to think what the future holds for angling.

Cheers, Dave.

Same here, this sort of thing should be a formality, just shows where their priorities lie now and it ain't with us despite the millions we put their way.

Last edited:
I tend to buy my licence just before the old one runs out, and through the post office. What annoys me is that I have never been checked for it. Sad times.

I tend to buy my licence just before the old one runs out, and through the post office. What annoys me is that I have never been checked for it. Sad times.

I wouldn't leave it too long Jeff. I bought mine through the the post office this year, as did many of the posters in this thread....but did not receive it through the post for several weeks. The receipt you get at the PO is supposed to cover you if your licence doesn't turn up...but for a limited period. Add to this the chaos that is the 'post budget cuts' EA, and you could end up in trouble.

Cheers, Dave.

Love the EA to take someone to court with a timed out receipt, interesting times.

I wouldn't leave it too long Jeff. I bought mine through the the post office this year, as did many of the posters in this thread....but did not receive it through the post for several weeks. The receipt you get at the PO is supposed to cover you if your licence doesn't turn up...but for a limited period. Add to this the chaos that is the 'post budget cuts' EA, and you could end up in trouble.

Cheers, Dave.

Sorry Dave, but if you read my post it says I tend to buy my license JUST BEFORE THE OLD ONE RUNS OUT.

I got my license just as the last year's licence expired.

I have had a direct debit running since the new license came in. You just get a notification prior and then your license comes through in the post. Up til this year I always received it prior to season end, but this year I got it the week after.

Sorry Dave, but if you read my post it says I tend to buy my license JUST BEFORE THE OLD ONE RUNS OUT.

I got my license just as the last year's licence expired.

It would seem that one or the other of us is missing the point Jeff. I am saying that if you leave buying a new licence at the post office until 'just before the old one runs out', then there is a very good chance that you will not actually receive it until well beyond the expiry of your old one.

I can only assume from your reply that you are laboring under the mistaken belief that you are handed your new licence over the counter at the PO when you walk in and pay. In fact you only receive a receipt for your money at the PO, with your actual license arriving by post an indeterminate number of days...or weeks...later. The varying delay in receiving them this way is what this thread is all about.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi men,

4-5 weeks for mine to come through . I was not worried as I did a screen shot of the email confermation , saved to my phone pictures . If there was any doubt with that way until the real ones turned up they would have had a very argumentative Hatter in their faces . Not that iv ever been checked in 50 years of fishing , other than by a unofficial baliff who was mischief making because he wanted my swim at horseshoe lake :rolleyes:, nitwit was minus an eardrum , and under no illusion to the outcome if it went further !;)

Hatter

Back