• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The big fish off episode two.

There's all the difference in the world though between being a 'partner' with the EA, and being a "branch" of the EA (as you wrote Graham). If the AT doesn't remain independent, they'll not be fully working in 'our' (anglers') interests.
For starters, I'll be taking them out of my Will!
ATVB
Terry

Sorry Derek, only my opinion, it irritates me when a Angling and Anglers are portrayed in a bad light!

Out of interest my opinion on what I saw of the first programme!

"Well I watched it and to be fair I am un-sure just who the target audience is?
It did not work for me as an angler, it did not do it from an educational point of view and I'm not sure whether a non - angler would quite get just what was going on?
I understand the other two were "celebrities", however I am still not sure why?
For me it just did not work.
It's a shame because I liked Dean Macey when I met him and I had hoped it would have played out better,
OK, I know just how difficult it is to catch for the camera, (I get the shakes big time) but catching is not enough, you have to get across both the "why" and "how" because if you don't you open up angling to all the worst of the "non - believers" adverse reactions.
I know we should applaud any angling on the telly but if it is done poorly we just come across as idiots dressed in green that take advantage of the countryside rather than the guardians of our waterway that we actually are
I will watch one more because I hope it will get much better but I am afraid to say I am not holding my breath. "

And for balance, my opinion of the second programme!!

"I only caught the 2nd and 3rd sessions of this episode and to be frank, if anything it's gone downhill.
The main thrust of the fishing seems to be, bait up with a boilie or pellet, cast out, sit back and then talk total ********!!
These guys can't really be the one trick ponies that they come across as, can they?
I know it's not supposed to be educational in any way but where is the use of differing methods, they were in Spain for goodness sake, the could have fly fished for Barbel, float fished for Mullet or feeder fished for the huge Roach!
With that sort of budget they could have made a much better fist of it.
I know they are both Carpers but even so they must know other ways to fish.
All that was missing was a case of Stella and a couple of spliffs and Hamidi is irritating beyond belief, this programme is showing Angling and Anglers in a very poor light!!!!

45 mins of my life I will never get back.
Bloody awful! !!!"

I am now off to look for some "Exclusive mega Barbel"!!!

Actually that would make a nice change as just about everywhere I fish is on either very public or easy to obtain day or season ticket!!

Tight lines.

Terry. Can you really believe the EA would appoint another organisation to duplicate much of the AT remit?

Its a way of directing some of the RL money into the Partners (in reality contractors) pot without the need of the AT begging bowl.

Im not saying thats a bad thing by the way.

Much harder to understand is the fact some AT hierachy got money for work from certain water authorities!. Now there's a real conflict of interests in my book.

Cheers. Graham

Not watched it myself actually, but can't see why anyone should criticise anyone else for saying "I watched it and I thought it was rubbish". Its an opinion, that's all. Everyone is entitled to an option...and this is a forum for opinions to be expressed!
I enjoyed your 'review' Keith...many thanks. You've saved me at least 45mins of 'wasted life-time':):):)
Respect at all eh.
ATVBA
Terry

Terry. Can you really believe the EA would appoint another organisation to duplicate much of the AT remit?

Its a way of directing some of the RL money into the Partners (in reality contractors) pot without the need of the AT begging bowl.

Im not saying thats a bad thing by the way.

Much harder to understand is the fact some AT hierachy got money for work from certain water authorities!. Now there's a real conflict of interests in my book.

Cheers. Graham

No Graham, I think AT is a 'shoe-in' for the partnership.. and that is (IMHO) ok as long as they (AT) don't become a "branch" of the EA. And yes, I totally agree with you...there IS a conflict of interest, and I believe there will be even greater conflicts of interest to come. I believe that there's a fair chance that the whole situation will get very murky (at least...if not dirty) in the coming years.
I hope I'm wrong, but there's money to be made...and lucre is often filthy.
ATVB
Terry

Keith, you sound like a spoilt brat. Too many exclusive waters with mega barbel in them ??? :mad:. I missed the first one, but just watched the second on itv player. No, its not what most on here enjoy, " fishing for barbel ". But so what, it was 4 people who obviously love fishing, and looked like they were actually enjoying themselves. Isn,t that what fishing is all about ? Enjoyment ? I,ll fish for anything that swims, and as long as i,m by a stretch of water, i,m more than happy. Any fish is a bonus, and more than welcome, regardless of size or species. Just because it wasn,t your cup of tea, do you really have to sl@g it off ? I actually enjoyed it. Some people need to unscrew their one dimensional head from their backside, look left and right, and take a reality check.

Hi Derek, I know you are a decent fella, so I assume this was just the product of a very rough, very early morning after an 'orribly heavy night :D Take it easy mate, it's only fishing :p

Cheers, Dave.

I watched most of the second episode and although I have not been to Spain fishing, I think it caught the atmosphere quite well even if it didn't catch much in the way of fish. Macey and Hamidi made it entertaining with some fair banter. The program isn't about rigs and baits, it's about a group going fishing. I think you have to have an over inflated opinion of yourself to scathe this program, which clearly is just for fun. There is already enough crawling up our own arse fishing TV.

To be honest there is very little I don't like when it comes to fishing and fishing programmes across every discipline. The only thing I don't like is dishonesty, proclaimed experts and crowded banks. Everything else I adore.

Long live the Big Fish Off!:)

Come on lads it beats watching bloody coronation street or emmerdale. Fair play to the blokes in it this week they enjoyed there self and that's what it's all about.

Hi men,

What a load of old tosh some people write . It was ok , lure fishing for Zander and perch , a carp match from the bank then from a boat , then after catfish taking turns each on the rods !. Now before anyone says about the way catfishermen are guided over there , where the lads were all sitting waiting for a bite , that's how it is on them trips , with some very well known anglers doing just that to catch !!, including some of the very people who are criticizing the program !. There was genuine pleasure at the end with both celebs wanting to return , so they enjoyed it !, and I did . It's worth a watch , even if it's not how you fish , or how you like to fish . Amazingly Iv seen comments like " I ain't watching it because it's Korda ", or "the presenters accents are too Essex ", or "my mate said it weren't as good as passion for angling ", or the best " I aint watching it because people are slagging it off ":rolleyes: .

Hatter

I would like to publicly apologise to Keith Speer for my rash comments, believe me, it was not meant to be anything personal. Keith, i am embarrassed, and truly sorry.

Hi men,

What a load of old tosh some people write . It was ok , lure fishing for Zander and perch , a carp match from the bank then from a boat , then after catfish taking turns each on the rods !. Now before anyone says about the way catfishermen are guided over there , where the lads were all sitting waiting for a bite , that's how it is on them trips , with some very well known anglers doing just that to catch !!, including some of the very people who are criticizing the program !. There was genuine pleasure at the end with both celebs wanting to return , so they enjoyed it !, and I did . It's worth a watch , even if it's not how you fish , or how you like to fish . Amazingly Iv seen comments like " I ain't watching it because it's Korda ", or "the presenters accents are too Essex ", or "my mate said it weren't as good as passion for angling ", or the best " I aint watching it because people are slagging it off ":rolleyes: .

Hatter

Or....it could just be that some folk REALLY don't like this type of programme, for WHATEVER reason, and I would have thought they were entitled to that opinion, this being a forum and all. Bizarrely, it would seem that on this issue, you have two option. You either like this programme and praise it enthusiastically , or you keep your opinion to yourself....your opinions are NOT welcome. How sad.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi men ,

Not really Dave , I gave a rough run down of what this episode contained , said "its worth a watch ", "even if its not how you fish ", that way you can make your own mind up . Im not telling you to watch it , but there are people on forums and facebook actually saying dont bother ?, what im getting at is people can make their own minds up surely ;) , as it only a fishing program , relating to something we all love , fishing :D .

Hatter

Hi men,

Perhaps I'm not putting it over well enough Dave . I missed the first one as I was on late shift , but see the Facebook / forum kick off , and perhaps your right , it seems to be two camps :D . One of my mate who's opinion I respect told me it was awefull , and he would not watch another min and turned off early . It was not until I see it on catch up sometime later as I was in no rush when another mate told me it's not that bad . So I watched the second episode as well , and find it's just a fishing related program , not great , but not bad and some parts made me smile . It's only an hour out of my life , corrie on the other side for Sue , so no great hardship :D.

Hatter

Well said Derek...nice one bud.

I find it amazing that something so totally insignificant to angling, and in the scheme of things in general, as "The Big Fish Off", could cause such outpourings of vitriolic emotions! For Dog's sake (and I use that word advisedly:)), its a light entertainment program..that, ok, apparently doesn't actually entertain all those who've watched it.
I can understand us angler 'taking sides' over issues such as: braid main line, fixed rigs, barbed/barbless hook, otters etc, etc... but a bit of daftness on TV???? What's THAT about?
Then again, I've not watched it yet. Maybe if I did I'd start ranting and raving about it too:eek:
Anybody would think that its the close season doldrums come early this year:)

ATBA
Terry

Hi men,

Graham , agreed , not my cup of tea . On the other hand they were sitting next to the rods , waiting for one of them to pull over :) , and when it did they really had to hang on even though they only caught them to 52lb . Much bigger and they may have been dragged in and eaten alive , then we may have someone make a far fetched program , you could call it something like River Monsters :D

Hatter

Yes Mark. Dragged in x 4. Perfect .:D :rolleyes:

Actually I quite liked RM. But then again I'm old school

Well old actually. Bring back informative evocative thinking anglers.

Back