• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The big fish off episode two.

Hi men ,

Well I feel quiet lucky then , because I watch all the fishing program's , and can see the good and bad in them all ;)

Hatter .

Derek, accepted mate, you did not need to do so in public and as Graham said, it takes a big man to do that!

Still did not like the programme but on reflection perhaps I should not have said so on here, I've been wrong many times in the past and probably will be again but there you go!

Tight lines

Keith, the presenters and guests needed you in the boat to teach them how to vertical jig properly. ;) :)

Hi men ,

No Keith , on here is where you should say it , you cant be right or wrong on an opinion , because its what you believe.

Think its the river Thames next week .

Hatter

Last edited:
I thought the second episode was better and mainly because it seemed a little more natural and less contrived than the first. That's possibly just down to the dynamics of the group. New formats can take time to settle into a groove and that will be the same for the presenters I expect.

Anglers share some DNA- we all love the bite! But otherwise fishing is enormously diverse with people getting different things out of the sport and enjoying different aspects. The lone specimen hunter or the group of lads at the lake. I would hope that we all understand the rules of engagement though- respecting the fish, the environment and each other. Given the diversity that exists, it seems perfectly reasonable for PFA or Catching the Impossible to share to bed space with TBFO. I can't see TBFO doing any harm at all to the perception of anglers, I suspect its overall impact will be fairly benign.

It certainly doesn't seem to be something for people to argue and fall out over. It's just a television programme and there is no right or wrong, just perspective. It's like asking what's the best fish? (A roach probably). I didn't especially enjoy the programme but that's because I prefer programmes which have some educational element and/or capture the spirit of fishing (that resonates with my own sentiment) and the beauty of the countryside through the seasons. Taking it to the very highest level would then simply require Kelly Brook trotting for grayling in just her waders, with me by her side passing her maggots.

I recorded the second episode in fact and after watching it I noticed river monsters was on. That's cracking angling tv that is. In the Amazon with some of the most vicious looking fish. Why anyone would want to take a dip in a river like that God only knows. I freak if I reel in and discover a signal crayfish despepraly hanging onto to my meat.

I can watch Passion, CTI, Bowler's DVDs and the best of Matt and Mick over and over again. Just fantastic stuff.

I watched the second episode of this yesterday having notbwatched the first one. While i wont be buying the DVD i did think, as an attempt at a CROSSOVER angling programme, it was successful. The essex banter was a bit OTT for a northener like myself, but it showed angling in a good light to the General Public and captured really well the euphoria of catching good fish. I think Dean Macey is a terrific ambassador for angling and i've always liked Hamidi the best of the Korda crew.

What was most certain is that it would get the BFW cognoscenti spitting feathers :D

Hi men ,

Howard , cant see people falling out over a TV program , we all just put our points of views down , but seeing as its subjective , nobody is wrong :) .

TBH its more facebook that im referning to , as some of the posts were more entertaining than the program :D , ranging from the sort of its the anti-christ and you will be scarred for life watching it , right through to people really loving it . I sat somewhere in the middle , Like Graham Elliot I gave it about 6 -10 , and will give the rest of the seris a watch .

Hatter

Don't like the programme really, felt it tries too hard to sex up fishing to reach a wider audience that feast on take me out, big fat gypsy, embarrassing bodies and the like.

Possibly will do angling no favours at all, despite Deano's obvious sincerity for the sport, but it is work for him, and we all need to eat.

May I suggest if you have not yet done so, look up Limmie's effort on the 'Funny Valentine' thing on i.player, now that is good TV.

Well said Derek...nice one bud.

I find it amazing that something so totally insignificant to angling, and in the scheme of things in general, as "The Big Fish Off", could cause such outpourings of vitriolic emotions! For Dog's sake (and I use that word advisedly:)), its a light entertainment program..that, ok, apparently doesn't actually entertain all those who've watched it.
I can understand us angler 'taking sides' over issues such as: braid main line, fixed rigs, barbed/barbless hook, otters etc, etc... but a bit of daftness on TV???? What's THAT about?
Then again, I've not watched it yet. Maybe if I did I'd start ranting and raving about it too:eek:
Anybody would think that its the close season doldrums come early this year:)

ATBA
Terry

Nice one indeed Derek, respect to you. Like I said before Terry, Derek is one of the good guys.

Terry, like you, I have not watched the programmes all the fuss is about, so I have NO opinion on them as such. As a result I have not taken sides nor criticised them...because I can't. My comments have been similar to your own, merely expressing my astonishment at the harsh words in some posts over this show.

As I am a member of several forums (including carp orientated forums) I have read hundreds of posts on this subject. Most of the antis seem to think it is just a bunch of childish blokes who should know better being total dipsticks, which would show anglers in a very poor light to any non anglers who were to watching. If that is so, then I can understand their annoyance. If I had Sky, I might well watch it to make my own mind up...but as I don't, I won't :D

Cheers, Dave.

Totally agree Dave....each to his/her own etc. I mean...I've heard that some 'anglers' actually take wheelbarrows to muddy holes in the ground, then go to sleep/watch DVDs etc, whilst waiting to catch obese examples of an aquatic variety of porcine.
None so queer as fishing folk eh, but I guess that variety is the.....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ATBA
Terry

Hi men ,

Horrific TV later today .............. Luton Town losing 3 mins into injury time , I'm not watching that :D

Hatter

Because of this tread, I have been asking around my fellow anglers.
I am a water bailiff among other things for my local club, mainly because one of our fisheries is 50 yds from my front door (guess who was better at researching areas to buy a house, me or the wife:D).
So I see a lot of anglers, mainly Carp anglers, as the fishery is a Carp water, but we get all sorts visiting day and night, so I have been asking around.
I was amazed at how many loved the programme and many even recorded it????

So it seems I am in a minority AND that I am wrong about the programme.

I still don't like it and I still think it is a missed opportunity, there is so much more to angling than chucking out a Boilie/Pellet, sitting back and going to sleep and I will always be an advocate of actually fishing rather than waiting BUT as the majority will always hold sway, The Big Fish Off must be OK??:eek:

Hi Keith, thank you for the p.m. it was very kind of you. As for the big fish off, i missed the first episode, but if it was about casting out and going a bo boes, then also, it is not what i consider fishing, i like nothing better than watching a float/tip. But hey ho, each to their own. :)

Totally agree Dave....each to his/her own etc. I mean...I've heard that some 'anglers' actually take wheelbarrows to muddy holes in the ground, then go to sleep/watch DVDs etc, whilst waiting to catch obese examples of an aquatic variety of porcine.
None so queer as fishing folk eh, but I guess that variety is the.....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ATBA
Terry

Just shut it Terry :D:D:D

The whole point of angling is that there is something in it for everyone, and something to suit everyones spur of the moment fancies too. Some folk, Keith Speer for instance, are driven anglers...he strives for perfection, puts a lot of work into his fishing and earns everything he gets...so good for him, that's what angling means to him. I have gone through phases of that in my younger days, but by and large relaxation is now an important part of fishing for me.

I recall one night (a long time back now) I was laying in bed wide awake, worrying about what in truth was a meaningless little club match the following day. I was really fretting about whether I had done all I could in way of preparation...and before I knew it the dawn was coming up and the birds had started to sing....and I recall thinking 'How the hell am I going to fish a match this tired'? Utter madness. Now I know that preparation, planning, and all that bit CAN be quite pleasurable, all part of the joy of angling. The thing is to recognise when something has changed, when that part of it stops being pleasurable. It dawned on me that night that my life had enough stress and heartache in it without my hobby being stressful too...I needed peace and quiet and relaxation...and that was the road I went down from then on.

It doesn't suit everyone, and not everyone will come to that crossroad. However, it's important for those who do to recognise it for what it is and take a step back and change things, rather than just give up the hobby altogether. It is also hugely important for those who view angling with one track minds and blinkered vision to understand that 'their way' is very much NOT the only way. We should all allow others to fish and enjoy their fishing as they see fit, without the sniping and thinly veiled sarcasm that blights angling and has stopped us being the united force for the good of the hobby that we should be.

I know I have said a lot of this before (more than once :D) and that I am a boring old fart....but that doesn't stop it being true.

I hasten to add that this is not aimed at you Terry, I know you were only joking...I just got a bit carried away again :D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I can't disagree with a word that you've said David (well old fart maybe, boring nah:)). To me angling is mostly about being there, in the (existential) moment and all that. To me its true (authentic) and valuable living moments. I do need to actually WANT to catch whatever I'm fishing for, have targets, and I need to be happy with my immediate surroundings (it mostly has to be picturesque, and I no longer fish at night...as there's so little to see of nature's wonders).. but I've had many highly enjoyable blanks (mostly when I feel I've fished really well).
Yeah, each to his/her own..for me its a passion that's lasted a lifetime, and I'm grateful for finding that passion.
ATTA
Terry

The thread epitomises the friendly nature of BFW perfectly; one subject, many opinions and hardly a bad word said. Keep it up, chaps.

Not really my kind of thing, juxtaposed against A Passion for Angling (that I was watching the previous evening). And who was the other chap in the punt when catching cats? Someone to bait up, etc?

Anyway, taste will always be subjective - so hooray to that!

Because of this tread, I have been asking around my fellow anglers.
I am a water bailiff among other things for my local club, mainly because one of our fisheries is 50 yds from my front door (guess who was better at researching areas to buy a house, me or the wife:D).
So I see a lot of anglers, mainly Carp anglers, as the fishery is a Carp water, but we get all sorts visiting day and night, so I have been asking around.
I was amazed at how many loved the programme and many even recorded it????

So it seems I am in a minority AND that I am wrong about the programme.

I still don't like it and I still think it is a missed opportunity, there is so much more to angling than chucking out a Boilie/Pellet, sitting back and going to sleep and I will always be an advocate of actually fishing rather than waiting BUT as the majority will always hold sway, The Big Fish Off must be OK??:eek:

No sir. You were right. This isn't fishing for the real fishermen. It's pandering to the public that don't know about fishing.

RIP KEITH

Back