• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The big fish off episode two.

I watched this again yesterday. Forgive if I am wrong but were they not catching some strange fish with 4 whiskers?...
Again, I enjoyed it. It's bringing Angling to life.

Turned over to have a look at it and it was during a commercial break, it came back on with a 'sponsored by Korda' ad and I thought 'I can see where this is going'. Sure enough five minutes of cockney banter later and I turned it over, not for me.

I pressed the mute button on my Sky remote control and the programme immediately improved. There's another button in the top right hand corner of the remote - I pressed that and my TV screen went completely blank. I poured out a glass of Old Speckled Hen, took a large mouthful and stretched out in my favourite armchair and soaked up the total silence in which I was now bathed...............pure bliss!

Forgive me chaps , but there is far too much snobbery doing the rounds

I read the comments before actually watching any of the episodes and I really cannot see what all the fuss is about

It's been mentioned already that if you don't speak like john Bailey you shouldn't be allowed on TV . How true that seems from some comments

Yes ok some of the 'banter' can be a little annoying , but the presenters and guests are enthusiastic !

Wilson and his stupid laugh and very loose clutch annoyed me , but it was the hobby I enjoyed on TV

I've just watched Freddie flintoff with his green chip van , on a break he fished the Tay for salmon . Any exposure promotes our past time

Fishing is a journey , we all change what we do along that journey . Let's realise that not everybody is blessed with private or exclusive stretches. Everybody has to start somewhere !

For me Matt Hayes and Mick Brown got the formula just right for a fishing program, just the right balance of information and banter. Passion for angling was also great. Not so keen on John Bailey to be honest, but the one that baffles me is Paul Young from hooked on fishing, quite how someone so devoid of charisma got the job of hosting a fishing show is beyond me.
Does anyone remember fishing the hard way? Now that was terrible, seem to recall the guy only caught about 3 fish all series!

There's been some God awful angling on TV over the years and The Big Turn Off is in that bracket, in my opinion. I don't subscribe to the idea that any exposure is good exposure and I'm quite happy that the general public thinks angling is a sport for old men. Why we feel the need to appeal to an audience of knuckle dragging, non-angling chavs is quite beyond me ?

For me Matt Hayes and Mick Brown got the formula just right for a fishing program, just the right balance of information and banter. Passion for angling was also great. Not so keen on John Bailey to be honest, but the one that baffles me is Paul Young from hooked on fishing, quite how someone so devoid of charisma got the job of hosting a fishing show is beyond me.
Does anyone remember fishing the hard way? Now that was terrible, seem to recall the guy only caught about 3 fish all series!

Joe Brown?

I don't think it's snobbery, Stuart, as much as differing opinions - which we're all entitled to. Snobbery suggests class-related to me, and I doubt it's anything of the sort. More likely to be taste - which, as we all know, is subjective. :)

IMHO, the worst of the worst has to be River Monsters:( Why a really good angler like Jeremy Wade makes this tosh is beyond me!!

Back