• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vote Tory?

I have a worry in that the Lib Dems had a restraining effect on the Tories, preventing some of their more extreme right wing desires from coming to be. Now that this brake has been released, some previously frustrated plans may come crawling back out of the woodwork. I suppose that just for starters, HS2 will now be a certainty to go ahead, which is very sad. We shall see. Good luck everyone :D

Cheers, Dave.

I think history will show that the LibDems were unfairly scapegoated and as Dave says above were the voice of reason and restraint in the last government. Cameron now has to control his own backbenchers :eek:

As for taxing the rich is counter productive you will have to carry on believing that whilst the tories are in power because it won't change.

Its the well off people who agree with the statement and want to believe its true because they help keep the people at the bottom.

It is a certain type of democracy.

The conservatives only got 6% more votes than the Labour party. Ukip, poor devils, have got 1 seat after getting the third highest percentage of the electorates vote.

5 more years of grey faced Osbourne telling us how great the tories are.

The turkies have voted for Christmas.

Would be interested to know what transformative economic/fiscal policy Mr Balls had awaiting us if Labour had got in. And doesn't every politician just tell us all how wonderful their party is and how they will change our lives for the better- but never actually explaining how.

Also, didn't Labour end up supporting HS2?

I seriously doubt Ed Balls had any ideas at all, he couldnt even keep control of his own personal finances, he tried to pay for something by cheque and it was knocked back, apparently it was an account that had been closed and he didnt remember it :D

I dont get the rhetoric about the voters still punishing labour.

The torys have succeeded in making everyone believe the economic crash was labours fault.
Labour should have rebutted that alot more strongly.

Who gave a shyte about the deficit before 2008? No one.

Who actually still believes an improving economy actually improves the quality of their life? The tories have been telling us the economy is improving throughout their governance. But who can say the quality of life they live now is better than 10 years ago? Anyone who has dealt with the french run *******s at Atos will tell you how shyte their living standards are now.

We are an uneducated nation and the fact that sly shytes like the torys can manipulate the general public into actually thinking they deserve austerity says it all.

The Torys have preceeded over a low wage economy and will continue to do so for another 5 crummy years.

The tories are ignoring all the fiscal studies that tell them that improving existing rail networks will be better and cheaper for the economy than building hs2. They will press on with it because they are arrogant and dont care about the british people. They probably have already invested in the chinese companies they will sell it to a year after it is finished.

The one good thing will be if cameron keeps his pledge to have a referendum on eu membership by 2017. Whats the bet that despite everyone you talking to saying they want out of europe that we end up voting to stay in?

Proportional representation? Be very careful what you wish for....otherwise in a few years time a political party that doesn't currently exist may very well be in power!

Howard interesting what you say about tax avoidance - check out the Mayfair £700m case - no action there it seems and i do not see the large mutlinats paying what they should wherever they are not just the UK, how many Tories sit on such boards i wonder?. As for HS2 we live in a time of virtual technology, here i am talking to a bunch of folk i have never met for example, so really what benefit is 30 minutes going to make. Look at the Chunnel what benefits has this brought say to Ashford and other parts of Kent, none except for a new station and perhaps some office work - all it will do is pull more into London, which interestingly voted Labour in the main (why i wonder, may be as the wealth differences are so stark and ordinary people see this as wrong). As for wealth generation, it is more than just this it is also about wealth distribution, without the former one cannot have the latter granted but it is what type of wealth generation we can focus on, too much emphasis has been placed on finance which is not actual generation but more about transfer and a form of gambling, and far too little on manufacturing and not the old Europen take on this. I was talking to a guy last week trying to make sheets of grapheme at one of our top Uni's - any support for this outside of education in this country - no, abroad of course and take a guess where... All the parties are way behind in this and just to get another debate going, science is the way forward...

The Torys have preceeded over a low wage economy and will continue to do so for another 5 crummy years.

And Business's just can't get enough of it along with the more well off people in society and between they get a buzz out of keeping people down in the dumps and use the recession b*ll sh*te chestnut and the business wouldn't survive if they paid a better wage.

That's the businesses that are still open, look at the high streets to see how wonderful everything is.

And Business's just can't get enough of it along with the more well off people in society and between they get a buzz out of keeping people down in the dumps and use the recession b*ll sh*te chestnut and the business wouldn't survive if they paid a better wage.

Are you really serious, have you ever ran a business that employed people?

I am bored, so I will offer a cynics view of politics and politicians :D

I think the problem with politics is ourselves. The natural state of mankind is to be corrupt and self serving, we can't help it. We are designed to be that way, to be super competitive, because through that we improve ourselves (at least as nature sees it)...it's called evolution. Fortunately, a side effect of evolution is the ability to understand that we need to curb the worst of our natural inclinations and nastiness, otherwise we can't survive as a species....hence the need for Mr. Plod and all the rest of the legal paraphernalia.

Unfortunately, the old saying 'Total power brings total corruption' is very true, and the closer an individual comes to that state of power, the more their natural instincts take over. I think politicians can't help themselves...as soon as it looks like nobody is watching, they just can't keep their sticky little fingers out of the cookie jar, whether those cookies consist of monetary gain, power, sexual favours....or whatever else floats their boat.

I think there have been a few saint like politicians over the years...but it wouldn't take you long to count them, and you wouldn't have to take your socks off for fear of running out of digits either. Unfortunately, it is also true that these lovely, well meaning souls are rarely effective...Michael Foot springs to mind here, for those old enough to remember.

So, we get what we deserve...we get politicians just as likely to rip us off as the 'rogue traders' we see on the telly. Whatever they say in the run up to the election is only said as a means to win that election, and the odds of those promises being kept are at best 50/50. Take your pick then of the political parties of today...it probably matters very little which one you choose, because ideologically they are so close now it's hard to tell the difference. And...whatever else happens, each time they are faced with the choice 'What is best for the nation' versus 'What is best for me'....there is only ever going to be one winner!

So, stop worrying about it. We have always been the same, and we aint about to change. Besides....what's the worst that can happen? Damn, I wish I hadn't asked that...I am quite depressed now :mad:

:D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

Quite agree Dave. Politics and politicians have become ridiculously opaque and trust has all but disappeared. Some people still seem rooted to the idea that conservatives are all on the take, rubbing each other up the right way and shi**ing gold for their capitalists brothers. Labour on the other hand are fighting for the common man, the working man, trying to rid the country of those evil bosses and high earning capitalists. The Labour manifesto said that it was going to support the creation of high-skill and high-wage jobs. We'll hang on there a minute. What's "high-wage"? And as soon as someone achieves it, crossing that threshold, do they turn into the very monster Labour is fighting against? Tricky one that.

Anyway, let's not forget the old expenses scandal that took place on Labour's watch. Still at least they got all those ghastly Tories lining their own pockets and feeding from the golden trough provided by the working man. But of course it wasn't just the Tories was it, it was Labour too. In fact it was mostly Labour. You need to search far and wide for a hint of authenticity and integrity.

United Kingdom parliamentary expenses scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh well Howard at least you will be spared of the ghastly prospect of paying mansion tax!!!!

Ha! Well, I would be light years from the prospect of that happening! My point is that politicians are as bad as each other. Plus, I find this notion you often see expressed, that anyone that has done well has done so by terrible means, stepping on the hands and feet of anyone in their path as they reach for the top.

I was brought up on a rough estate, went to an even rougher school, bullied routinely for having a debilitating speech impediment and left school with nothing. Any "success" I may have acquired was down to simple hard work and application and, it's just a personal thing, but I resent the notion that I must, by definition, be some money grabbing facist.

PS: I do not, nor have I ever, worked for a bank.

This forum is called "Barbel Talk". To me there is no Barbel in this thread. Politics will always cause a lot of issues and disagreements - there are plenty of forums for this. To me - this needs modd'ing to avoid pointless, avoidable fall outs.

I haven't noticed anyone falling out Hugh, neither do I agree that politics has nothing to do with angling. For instance, if the Greens had got in, then like Switzerland and Germany, we would be banned from catch and release fishing, being required by law to kill all we catch. They do disregard this law quite often nowadays...but it is still the law. There are other parties too who would ban fishing altogether if they were not afraid of the consequences...Labour would if they could, or at least certain factions of that party would.

Besides, the answer is simple....if you don't like it, then don't read if for heavens sake, leave it to those who wish to take part.

Cheers, Dave.

Anyway, let's not forget the old expenses scandal that took place on Labour's watch. Still at least they got all those ghastly Tories lining their own pockets and feeding from the golden trough provided by the working man. But of course it wasn't just the Tories was it, it was Labour too. In fact it was mostly Labour. You need to search far and wide for a hint of authenticity and integrity.

United Kingdom parliamentary expenses scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your right Howard it mostly was Labour, but is that not because, at the time, they had 355 MP's compared with the 198 Conservatives? It would be interesting to note the proportion by party....we need a 'snouts-in-the-trough-ometer'.

Back