• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Vote Tory?

We can be sure there will be no cash to spend on the environment...or any more control over water companies/industrial discharge, so not perhaps a great day from a fishing perspective.

Just as well you live in Ferndown Phil :)

But how is this bad news for anyone? Look at the economy now as it was then under those clowns, all this Labour for the 'poor working man' load of rubbish.

Can't see Labour getting back any time soon too

R.I.P Labour. :p

Don't see where I live has anything to do with it, I obviously didn't realise that it was "the clowns" who caused the global economy to fall. I thought it was the banks that weren't regulated enough by labour and am obviously mistaken when thinking that the tories wanted them deregulated more, funny how people remember what they want to.
Go and talk to the people at the bottom of the food chain to see if they feel happy about where the economy is and see if they feel better off.

I dare say that as in all things, good and bad will come out of this win...just as there would have been if Labor (or anyone else) had won. The best we can ever hope for is that the good outweighs the bad. I have a worry in that the Lib Dems had a restraining effect on the Tories, preventing some of their more extreme right wing desires from coming to be. Now that this brake has been released, some previously frustrated plans may come crawling back out of the woodwork. I suppose that just for starters, HS2 will now be a certainty to go ahead, which is very sad. We shall see. Good luck everyone :D

Cheers, Dave.

If you are struggling on bennies then an extra 10er would have no difference you are still poor in an ideal world we would all have enough to be comfortable but that is fantasy island which no party would be able to achieve

People obviously did not forget that the same Labour Party members who left the country in such a sh!t state for the Conservatives / Libs five years ago are ( were) still behind Milliband and hoping for positions of influence before this election. Thank goodness at least one '"prominent " mp who spouted rubbish has lost his seat.

I also seem to remember a certain Labour Treasury Secretary Liam Byrne left a note for the incoming Chancellor. "Theres No money left"

Did that happen this time ? No.

Ex-Treasury secretary Liam Byrne's note to his successor: there's no money left | Politics | The Guardian

Now lets see what Widow Crankie is going to do re Scots independence .

Dave

Don't see where I live has anything to do with it, I obviously didn't realise that it was "the clowns" who caused the global economy to fall. I thought it was the banks that weren't regulated enough by labour and am obviously mistaken when thinking that the tories wanted them deregulated more, funny how people remember what they want to.
Go and talk to the people at the bottom of the food chain to see if they feel happy about where the economy is and see if they feel better off"

Well said. Right up until the Lehman Bros collapse in 2008 which took with it the American sub-prime housing market which triggered the global banking/economic crisis, the Conservative party was vociferously calling for further deregulation - look at Hansard online.

This is what Gideon Oz and co had to say on the subject of mortgage lending:

"We see no need to continue to regulate the provision of mortgage finance, as it is the lending institutions rather than the client taking the risk."

Freeing Britain to Compete, Final Report of the Conservative Party Economic Competitiveness Policy Group, Published 17 August 2007
[I

“In financial services we should allow people to buy and sell products that are not regulated if they have signed to do so.â€[/I]

Economic Competitiveness Policy Group, Chairmen’s Presentation to David Cameron and Colleagues 26 September 2006.

Vince Cable was the only mainstream politician that called it. Fact.

Of course world events are a factor, from fiscal to war, but it is how to cope in your own country in good governance. The labour party has demonstrated that they are not up to the job, be it Blair or Brown, and the people have voted more for a no confidence in Labour more than anything else, never mind what manifesto they put forward.
Today at least we still have a competent leader and a competent government at the helm, phew!!

Neil

Its very easy to penalize those much less well off than your self - when they start actually dealing with tax avoidance by their mates you may have a point but so far there has been no evidence of this - so competent maybe if you have a lot of money...their plans are not costed, so lets see what happens with indirect taxation which of course hits the less well off more proportionally and the NHS as private health care ain't cheap...and of course as noted above 24% of those eligible to vote ain't exactly the strongest mandate...

Neil

Its very easy to penalize those much less well off than your self - when they start actually dealing with tax avoidance by their mates you may have a point but so far there has been no evidence of this - so competent maybe if you have a lot of money...their plans are not costed, so lets see what happens with indirect taxation which of course hits the less well off more proportionally and the NHS as private health care ain't cheap...and of course as noted above 24% of those eligible to vote ain't exactly the strongest mandate...

Crikey I am not well off far from it, but to me despite the Labour party still playing the poor vs rich card, again the rhetoric is that the Tories are 'mates' with the tax avoiders and super rich just doesn't stand up to scrutiny, loop holes are being closed left by the likes of Brown in his stewardship.

Of course I believe in fair play, and those in real need are a priority, but we must insure money is channeled to those, not the crooks who prey on the system, and let's face it we are a hand out society where work is only worthwhile if we earn x pounds per hour. ''It pays me more not to work is often said'' That is why the migrant workers are cleaning up whilst we wonder why there are no jobs, there are.

Simply throwing more money at the NHS is not the answer, take my football team as an example Bristol City....The wage bill was cut by £1.5million players were let go, quality was brought in and they won the league easily.

The NHS is littered with 'managers' of this and that that do nothing to enhance the service, and yet it would be this group that Labour would throw more money at. I do hope the NHS will be overhauled it is struggling to cope, perhaps with a clear mandate this Government has, it will.

HS2 well yes very costly, but we cannot as a country stand still, we do need innovation and the feel good factor test and jobs created outweigh the downside.

Of course world events are a factor, from fiscal to war, but it is how to cope in your own country in good governance. The labour party has demonstrated that they are not up to the job, be it Blair or Brown, and the people have voted more for a no confidence in Labour more than anything else, never mind what manifesto they put forward.
Today at least we still have a competent leader and a competent government at the helm, phew!!

Another post appeared as i was writing this, but i will post it anyway.

A competent gov't my backside. What we now have is a corrupt gov't. A gov't stuffed with self serving pigs at the trough of riches. When Camoron made his we are all in it together speech, he wasn't aiming at you and me, it was to his rich buddies in and out of gov't who have fingers of greed in every pie you can think of.
We have a crumbling Health service needing (if my figures are correct) £8bn
over the next parliament to get back on track (pun intended), so what will this govt do, they will spend £50bn minimum for a one off stupid train to cut a train journey by 20minutes. Miles of landscape ruined, many people will lose there houses etc etc. I t has already cost the taxpayer a staggering £1bn and it hasn;t even been approved yet. I bet Daves mates are rubbing there hands with glee at the prospect of many many more millions of taxpayers money dropping in to there bank accounts.

Another post appeared as i was writing this, but i will post it anyway.

A competent gov't my backside. What we now have is a corrupt gov't. A gov't stuffed with self serving pigs at the trough of riches. When Camoron made his we are all in it together speech, he wasn't aiming at you and me, it was to his rich buddies in and out of gov't who have fingers of greed in every pie you can think of.
We have a crumbling Health service needing (if my figures are correct) £8bn
over the next parliament to get back on track (pun intended), so what will this govt do, they will spend £50bn minimum for a one off stupid train to cut a train journey by 20minutes. Miles of landscape ruined, many people will lose there houses etc etc. I t has already cost the taxpayer a staggering £1bn and it hasn;t even been approved yet. I bet Daves mates are rubbing there hands with glee at the prospect of many many more millions of taxpayers money dropping in to there bank accounts.
OK Ray I get your message, just to say though with all the issues put in front of the people, the people voted 'Dave' back in, can't argue with that really, it's Democracy :p

the people voted 'Dave' back in, can't argue with that really, it's Democracy

Sadly, 75% of those eligible to vote didn't vote for David.

HS2 is a clever move. By the time the next election comes around and David and his mates are measured by the austerity and cuts that have been enforced, whoever is voted into power will be saddled with the burden of HS2. As such they are unlikely to stay in office for more than one term....because of the cuts that will have been necessary to pay for it!

Currently I can drive down the road for 4-5 mins and jump on a train that gets me to London in 1hr 45 mins. When/if HS2 comes in I will have to drive for 25-30 mins to Manchester Airport, park in a massive car park which is a 5-10min walk from the platform to board a train that will get me London in 1hr 8 mins.

Thus saving me 12 minutes at very best (but probably only 1-2 mins) but costing me more in diesel and vehicle depreciation (£7 by my reckoning) and no doubt costing me a whole lot more in train ticket prices.

It's funny how we measure progress in this country isn't it?

Voting under a proportional representation would make it more democratic than the first past the post system we use. EG Scotland get %3.5 of the vote and 50 odd seats, UKIP get %12.5 of the votes and get one seat.

Sadly, 75% of those eligible to vote didn't vote for David.

HS2 is a clever move. By the time the next election comes around and David and his mates are measured by the austerity and cuts that have been enforced, whoever is voted into power will be saddled with the burden of HS2. As such they are unlikely to stay in office for more than one term....because of the cuts that will have been necessary to pay for it!

That's depending if HS2 is concerned a success or a white Elephant, doubt even it was unpopular would bring the Government down, it's a project that ensures Britain can keep pace with the modern world, surely you can see that?

Concord, Titanic and now HS2 :rolleyes:

Voting under a proportional representation would make it more democratic than the first past the post system we use. EG Scotland get %3.5 of the vote and 50 odd seats, UKIP get %12.5 of the votes and get one seat.

Yes I know but that would hardly help us keep all these odd types out of Westminster would it?

Thankfully Thursday was a day that we came to our senses and we can enjoy a few years of sound Government, Dave just needs to keep that bird from Glasgow in her place. :)

The notion that the conservatives want to preserve a wonderful playground for the rich and super-rich corporates to avoid paying tax is just not reality. And speaking as someone with a great deal of familiarity with that aspect of our legal system, I can tell you that over the last 5 years we have seen significant increases in anti avoidance legislation and international tax transparency. The new Diverted Profits Tax is just one example of how the UK is accelerating an international tax agenda (led by the OECD) aimed squarely at countering profit shifting and ensuring that global corporates pay their fair share of tax based on the activities and enterprise conducted in each country they operate in. More such changes are coming and the UK are one of the the most aggressive in the pursuit of these changes.

The trouble with politics these days is that it's got caught up in its own spin and it's impossible to work your way through all of that to get to the substance of an issue and vitally, the facts. All this has really done is breed a high level of mistrust and for me, there just feels like a blurring of political lines. At least with Thatcher v Kinnock you had a much clearer idea of what they represented and it made voting a little easier. I just feel now many people vote for the leader they mistrust the least and are more inclined to stick with what they know.

Taxing the rich further has been shown (by the treasury themselves I think!) to be counter productive. They do need to shoulder a bigger part of the burden but (ignoring the banking industry for the moment) a large proportion of the "rich" are wealth generators through entrepreneurialism which leads to increased commerce, growth and jobs. With international mobility and the ease with which business can be conducted effectively from anywhere in the world, there does need to be some level of attraction offered by the UK to encourage entrepreneurial behaviour. That obviously needs to be balanced by an effective welfare system that supports those that genuinely need help. Is the balance right currently? I don't know, perhaps not.

It is a certain type of democracy.

The conservatives only got 6% more votes than the Labour party. Ukip, poor devils, have got 1 seat after getting the third highest percentage of the electorates vote.

5 more years of grey faced Osbourne telling us how great the tories are.

The turkies have voted for Christmas.

Osborne or Mr Bean as i prefer to call him is well and truly behind HS2, but not as long as it runs through his backyard, his solution to that was to have the HS2 re-routed many miles away and around his estate, this in itself cost the taxpayer many millions.

That's depending if HS2 is concerned a success or a white Elephant, doubt even it was unpopular would bring the Government down, it's a project that ensures Britain can keep pace with the modern world, surely you can see that?

Concord, Titanic and now HS2 :rolleyes:

Great project HS2 if we had loads of money and it couldn't be spent better elsewhere.
The idea behind it is that people from the North can travel quicker to where the jobs are, misses the point that people want jobs in the area where they live.

As for taxing the rich is counter productive you will have to carry on believing that whilst the tories are in power because it won't change.

Let's see what happens with the tory promises over the next 5 years at least they won't be able to continue blaming the last government as they have for the last 5.

If you think they will wipe the deficit out and everything will be wonderful come 2019 you are living in cuckoo land.

Back