• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA swoop on EE's

For some perspective shouldn't we consider what defines a "Bigot" or "Racist" before such accusations are flung about?

i.e. Saying the Poacher was an EE is not in itself Bigoted or Racist, saying the person is of EE heritage and therefore must be a Poacher would be.

I may have missed it but I don't think I saw any post claiming the latter.

I may be an idiot from Watford but being from Watford wouldn't necessarily mean I am an idiot :)

Would people generally agree that the number of UK nationals who fish illegally as a percentage of the total number of UK nationals who fish would be a lower percentage than the same calculation for non UK nationals?

If the above statement is agreed then it is a reasonable assumption that for any given UK national or non UK national we meet fishing the percentage chances are higher that the non UK national will be fishing illegally. This is not bigotry or racism, it's simple statistics. I wouldn't assume they are actually fishing illegally but I would assume there is a greater or lesser chance they would be fishing illegally.

Damian, the system of law is irrelevant (however roman law is well represented in the present British system) the fact is that laws or rules of conduct which society generally adheres to were in place before the present system of common law was adopted and formalised.

Thats enough pedantics from me, I'm off to pack for a few days in Woolacombe Bay.

Agree 100% but the facts speak for themselves, are we to be in denial that culture does not play a part in law breaking? Where by such practices are 'accepted' in their own countries they are not in the UK, but of course it is not just taking fish for the pot but much more serious violations against children and women.

We cannot turn a 'blind eye' to anything that is not part of 'our' laws merely because of culture or creed, and yes Education is required, but what do you do when some reject that notion and defend their actions because of their cultural customs?

I believe the UK laws and judicial system is the best and fairest you an find, therefore if you live here to abide by those laws benefit the whole of society, for it was society that made the law through a Democratic system of Parliament.

No doubt some might sneer at that.
There is NO UK anymore, just the EU, some people need to get that,
Like or not.
Do you think you have british passport, you don't!

my mate at work is from the ukrain & is a very keen angler & loves his barbel. ive taken him on theodd occation. he is as straight as they come when it comes to any type of licence we need inc. day tickets purchaced from shops etc.
he hates being painted with the 'polish' brush.
eastern europeans are not all the same but the majority just dont care.

add this to the two english guys that come down our way from wolverhampton who always ask if the bailiff has been yet, & would rather wait in their car till he's gone or argue the toss with him about a badge or id than pay. thay only said last night funilly enough that if the bailiff comes tonight we'll throw him in rather than pay, & oh he can take our empty beer & meat tin away too..........................t*ssers.

Damian, the system of law is irrelevant (however roman law is well represented in the present British system) the fact is that laws or rules of conduct which society generally adheres to were in place before the present system of common law was adopted and formalised.

Thats enough pedantics from me, I'm off to pack for a few days in Woolacombe Bay.

Just to say Adrian that common law may be represented by law installed by the Romans, but at the time of the Romans and anyone before or since up to Henry II's reign, it was widely variable and enforced only by powerful local barons or figures of the regime in control.

This thread is getting out of hand. I think, quite rightly, the key point Neil wanted to make in starting the thread, is that its great to see on the bank action being taken against individuals breaking the law. I have no doubt that whoever the perpetrators were, no matter what the ethnic origin, Neil would have made the same point. And quite frankly it is good to get a bit of balance given the bashing the EA get on this forum.

As usual, however, there are some who choose to apply distortion and unnecessary emphasis which means threads get out of shape. It's sad to find on this largely enjoyable and informative forum that there are those who, through a lack of genuine wit or an ability to express an idea or a thought with any degree of eloquence, choose to respond and post deliberately provocative and distorting statements simply to get a reaction-and for no other reason than that.

Well said Howard, a cool and sensible head as ever. I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but there is another barbel forum (if you can call it that, it being such a dark place) where the type of people mentioned in your second paragraph are free to continue their antics without much fear of redress. There are as you say, a number on here now whose one aim in life appears to be upsetting other people, by any means they can find....hence the term 'fishing for bites' is often used when referring to their posts. Why/how anyone could/can derive such intense pleasure from upsetting as many people as possible, as often and as deeply as possible....is open to debate. They call it humour and think it clever....I rather think the term 'social misfits' is more apt.

I fear the slow drift back of such people to this forum may well be the reason for the nonsense you make mention of Howard.

Cheers, Dave.

Quoting stuff from a man who died in 1189 doesn't make it right today damian, if that was the case we would be crusading across half the globe

What like Afghanistan or Iraq? No, it would never happen in this day and age :rolleyes:

Well said Howard, a cool and sensible head as ever. I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but there is another barbel forum (if you can call it that, it being such a dark place) where the type of people mentioned in your second paragraph are free to continue their antics without much fear of redress. There are as you say, a number on here now whose one aim in life appears to be upsetting other people, by any means they can find....hence the term 'fishing for bites' is often used when referring to their posts. Why/how anyone could/can derive such intense pleasure from upsetting as many people as possible, as often and as deeply as possible....is open to debate. They call it humour and think it clever....I rather think the term 'social misfits' is more apt.

I fear the slow drift back of such people to this forum may well be the reason for the nonsense you make mention of Howard.

Cheers, Dave.

Never did see what was so special about that 'other' site, a bunch of blokes swearing like mad and intent on acting like kids that they know would upset their Mum if she ever found out.:rolleyes:
Living on the edge I guess...but it does explain one in particular individual that seems to want to disrupt every thread, I wonder what the real motive is as there seems to be some sort of dislike between him and Steve, perhaps he won't rest until a lot more on here leave.

my mate at work is from the ukrain & is a very keen angler & loves his barbel. ive taken him on theodd occation. he is as straight as they come when it comes to any type of licence we need inc. day tickets purchaced from shops etc.
he hates being painted with the 'polish' brush.
eastern europeans are not all the same but the majority just dont care.

add this to the two english guys that come down our way from wolverhampton who always ask if the bailiff has been yet, & would rather wait in their car till he's gone or argue the toss with him about a badge or id than pay. thay only said last night funilly enough that if the bailiff comes tonight we'll throw him in rather than pay, & oh he can take our empty beer & meat tin away too..........................t*ssers.
Well said thar man. Just like the two scrotes who were fishing off Powick bridge today with thick black Country accents, tins of beer, sweetcorn and meat all round the place. No landing net or unhooking mat. And to top it off the one lad had no reel he just tied the line to the rod tip!!! I take it when he caught a fish he would just haul it up.

Shocking behaviour

David,

I see yourself and others continually moaning about Patrick's posts on various threads so why don't you ignore the posts? If you say it's so easy to recognise Patrick's attempts at getting a bite why do you a bite every time? If he's fishing for "bites" would that make you like the eel- when all else fails to bite there's always a chance at an eel??

You could say trolling this site waiting to argue at every comment is rather "unsocial" could you not? Before I have my head bitten off I'm merely providing my opinion....

Same here Ben thats all i gi e is my opinion and the nay sayers and haters post in there flocks. Usually the same few suspects again and again attacking my opinion.

Ben, a fair point but in a way you have fallen into the same trap by not ignoring the posts that complain about other posts posted simply to illicit a reaction, rather than being additive to the genuine posts posted in response to a thread. It just means it drags on. And here's me doing the same thing. The reason is that we are human and so to a degree, programmed to react. There is, also, self moderation going on here too ie the members themselves trying to ensure that, in general, forum discussions take place within reasonable and safe boundaries whilst also providing good bandwidth for healthy debate and of course, banter.

Personally, I do choose to ignore most provocative posts unless I have been drinking or in my opinion, things have gone too far and I feel that something needs to be said. People may agree or disagree of course which is perfectly natural- it's a forum.

Chris Ponsford has started another thread titled "twaddle", and just to connect these threads, I would say that for the most part (substantially so in fact), there undoubtedly is a very good mix of advice, healthy/informed debate and of course banter. I had a magical few days on the Wye last week and some members on here really contributed to that experience with superb advice for a novice Wye angler.

My dad fished with me on the Wye for a day. Said he has been doing the lottery for years and has won nothing- it's the biggest rip off since King Kong went for a back, sack and crack. I love my dad I do. He farts in lifts though, which is wrong on so many levels.

Let's just enjoy our fishing.

Howard,

Thanks for sharing that post and yea I agree. However, I think Patrick's original comment is correct. A poacher is a poacher irrelevant if they come from Tipton or Transylvania. As this is a forum where anyone can access the "message boards" section and read it (I think) and BFW comes up pretty high on google search if you type in "barbel fishing", people should be careful what they post. Picture it- your an angler from Poland, Lithuania etc and you want to learn about barbel fishing so search for it on Internet and you come onto this site and read the first post about "EA swoop on EE's" what impression would that set to this new barbel angler keen to learn??

And with regard to your first point,I just think that maybe some of the people putting such effort into massive rants against Patrick should channel some of that effort into going fishing, after all that's one thing we all have in common, the love of fishing. For instance today I took my life long friend along with me on the Severn and managed to help him catch his first two ever barbel and he was over the moon, as was I. Surely that is effort spent on fishing the right way, which was extremely rewarding for me and him.

With regard to your father's flatulence I feel your pain. Having grown up in the house of a man with a backside like a dragon's nostril I feel your pain.

Tight lines....

Dave
The reason I get a bit hot under the collar about this is I am just old enough to remember two young men, English through and through beat the brown stuff out of my 55 year old Granddad. I was five at the time and I actually wet myself when I saw him about a week later the day he was let out of hospital. The crime this street justice was meted out for? He was a thick mick, a paddy, the EE of 50 years ago. Before that it was the yid, after it was the darky. Same bigotry different victims.
I will happily report anyone of any creed any colour if they break the law I did just before the start of this season, I don’t just moan and bellyache about it on here, I do something positive, see my phoned the EA today thread.
Regarding your mini rant about the “other side” you clearly have no understanding of it. It is not a Barbel fishing site, it isn’t even a fishing site. Our top river in the river report section does not exist. Any debate on landing net handles, nets hook pattern are banned in fact Barbel and handle are in the profanity filter. What we do have are some very good anglers and apart from one who will remain nameless no celebs. Not too sure about the number now but we once had 5 river records between us. Like most on there I never quite managed this growing up malarkey just to give you an insight my favourite pastime is sticking a worm on a hook tying said hook to some string and dangling it the water. I am so proficient at it the weekend just gone my mate and I sat doing just that for six hours. When I got home I discovered we were fishing the wrong lake.
Yes we use the odd profanity but you would be amazed at the list of regular and occasional posters we have on there. I know cos I am one of two mods. But what happens on tour stays on tour so you won’t find out from me or the other bloke. We did have another guy but Captain Hook caught him and I believe he is extremely sensible these days. The only people I have ever banned from there are bigots, misogynists and people who habitually howl at the moon, many more of the latter than the two former categories, although we do tolerate Arry, bless him.
My point? There are about 12 guys who post on here and in our little knitting circle. How many guys are you referring to as fishing for bites? Two? Three? Ever heard the expression tarred with the same brush?
PS the offer I made last season is still on, it’s even more attractive now, I bought a stove!

Kev,

Sorry to hear about fishing the wrong lake - at least you didn't have to use (or lose) a brolly this time mate !!!!

But all joking aside that's a cracking post and was a better delivered post covering some of what I was trying to! Contrary to what some ppl say about people from "the other site" I fish with a nice number of them and not only are they great anglers who I consider my mates but they can't do enough to help anyone and so what if they like a laugh ?!? Life would be much easier if everyone cheered up and have a laugh!

Howard,

Thanks for sharing that post and yea I agree. However, I think Patrick's original comment is correct. A poacher is a poacher irrelevant if they come from Tipton or Transylvania. As this is a forum where anyone can access the "message boards" section and read it (I think) and BFW comes up pretty high on google search if you type in "barbel fishing", people should be careful what they post. Picture it- your an angler from Poland, Lithuania etc and you want to learn about barbel fishing so search for it on Internet and you come onto this site and read the first post about "EA swoop on EE's" what impression would that set to this new barbel angler keen to learn??

And with regard to your first point,I just think that maybe some of the people putting such effort into massive rants against Patrick should channel some of that effort into going fishing, after all that's one thing we all have in common, the love of fishing. For instance today I took my life long friend along with me on the Severn and managed to help him catch his first two ever barbel and he was over the moon, as was I. Surely that is effort spent on fishing the right way, which was extremely rewarding for me and him.

With regard to your father's flatulence I feel your pain. Having grown up in the house of a man with a backside like a dragon's nostril I feel your pain.

Tight lines....

The problem with your argument Ben is the the man fishing from Tipton .
Will know any fish caught have to be returned and will return any fish he may catch to where it was caught .
Where as the man from Transylvania will more than likely take any fish he catches for the pot and that is what upsets people . Its bad enough when some body is fishing with out a EA licence and then to take the fish home for the pot and most of the evidence points to the fact that it is the EE's that are doing it

Back