• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

EA swoop on EE's

Theres a female angler I Upton upon Severn who regularly takes zander for the pot. She is English so it's not just the ee Joe.

Joe,

My point was on poaching not eating your catch. Interestingly Patrick I've tried zander- was very nice and was caught from an English River by an Englishman ....

Good night

David,

I see yourself and others continually moaning about Patrick's posts on various threads so why don't you ignore the posts? If you say it's so easy to recognise Patrick's attempts at getting a bite why do you a bite every time? If he's fishing for "bites" would that make you like the eel- when all else fails to bite there's always a chance at an eel??

You could say trolling this site waiting to argue at every comment is rather "unsocial" could you not? Before I have my head bitten off I'm merely providing my opinion....

Hi Ben, I will admit that there is a modicum of truth in some of what you say, but do you not think it a little odd (some might even say preposterous) that you should criticise me for stating my opinions, then claim your criticism of me is OK...because all you are doing is stating your opinion :eek:

In what way is me criticising Patrick any different (or worse) than you criticising me? We are both just offering our opinions as you say....so exactly why is it OK for you to do that...but not me :rolleyes:

Again, I could could turn your own arguments back to you. You say that if I don't like Patricks posts, why don't I ignore them? If that were a sensible option, then why, if you don't like my posts....do YOU not ignore THEM :confused:

The point is, that is not a sensible option is it? This is a FORUM...it is intended to be a place for anglers to debate issues, to comment and put forward their opinions on the issue at hand. If we were all to ignore what others say every time we didn't like what they said....then all debate would instantly halt...and the forum would be no more. NOT a good idea :D

I will tell you what. I promise you that I never have, nor ever will, make/made a post on here purely out of a desire to cause mischief, or out of a desire to cause unpleasantness or unrest, or foment arguments just for the hell of it, or out of pure malevolent intent....and I will not make threats against others, either on the open forum or via PM (that one's easy for an old fart like me I know :D)

If that makes me a bad enough baddie to take a dig at...then OK, I hold my hand up young sir :p

I WILL agree though that this thread has all got out of hand, it's like a ruddy game of electronic table tennis locked on repeat, with no winners...but possibly a few losers. I really have no argument with you Ben....and I certainly have no wish for this nonsense to continue. You piped up and had your say, I had mine....lets leave it at that.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave
The reason I get a bit hot under the collar about this is I am just old enough to remember two young men, English through and through beat the brown stuff out of my 55 year old Granddad. I was five at the time and I actually wet myself when I saw him about a week later the day he was let out of hospital. The crime this street justice was meted out for? He was a thick mick, a paddy, the EE of 50 years ago. Before that it was the yid, after it was the darky. Same bigotry different victims.
I will happily report anyone of any creed any colour if they break the law I did just before the start of this season, I don’t just moan and bellyache about it on here, I do something positive, see my phoned the EA today thread.
Regarding your mini rant about the “other side†you clearly have no understanding of it. It is not a Barbel fishing site, it isn’t even a fishing site. Our top river in the river report section does not exist. Any debate on landing net handles, nets hook pattern are banned in fact Barbel and handle are in the profanity filter. What we do have are some very good anglers and apart from one who will remain nameless no celebs. Not too sure about the number now but we once had 5 river records between us. Like most on there I never quite managed this growing up malarkey just to give you an insight my favourite pastime is sticking a worm on a hook tying said hook to some string and dangling it the water. I am so proficient at it the weekend just gone my mate and I sat doing just that for six hours. When I got home I discovered we were fishing the wrong lake.
Yes we use the odd profanity but you would be amazed at the list of regular and occasional posters we have on there. I know cos I am one of two mods. But what happens on tour stays on tour so you won’t find out from me or the other bloke. We did have another guy but Captain Hook caught him and I believe he is extremely sensible these days. The only people I have ever banned from there are bigots, misogynists and people who habitually howl at the moon, many more of the latter than the two former categories, although we do tolerate Arry, bless him.
My point? There are about 12 guys who post on here and in our little knitting circle. How many guys are you referring to as fishing for bites? Two? Three? Ever heard the expression tarred with the same brush?
PS the offer I made last season is still on, it’s even more attractive now, I bought a stove!

Berrrrlimey....that's the trouble with being slightly old and raddled. It takes me so long to type a reply to a post that the thread has moved on about a week by the time I click the send button...and my reply is thus even less relevant than usual :D However, I will offer up in my defence that I watched the news and then the Spain/Brazil match...and then went back to finish my previous post :eek:

Kevin, I take your points about my not understanding the 'other side'....I do confess I have never even looked at it, my opinions being based on information passed to me by others....who apparently were acquainted with it. Perhaps not the best basis for passing judgement though, I concede that...but I saw no reason to disbelieve what I was told

The information passed to me, which I based my thoughts on, was this. Before I became a member (so several years back) BFW got totally out of hand, to the point where it was considered impossible to continue. The powers that be took things in hand, certain members were ejected, and new rules were firmly laid down in an effort to return the forum to the civilised place it was intended by the owner to be. I was further informed that the trouble makers that were ejected...or left of their own accord as the case may be, then formed the alternative forum known to most as 'The Dark Side'.....which is the forum I assume you are talking about Kevin? Several members passed this version of events on to me. There may have been slight variations perhaps, but essentially, as I recall, that was about it. If that is the forum you describe now in such glowing terms....then fings aint arf changed mate :D.....or I was slightly misled :D

Either way, I have no personal knowledge, so daft to comment really. I also concede that not all EE's or whatever are guilty as charged, so yes it is wrong to 'tar them all with the same brush'. However, I DO have personal experience on this one. The small town where I live has a sizeable Polish population (I don't know the figures) and has had ever since the last war, and was added to by the last wave of immigrants more recently. I worked with and was friends with a Polish guy inside and outside work for over thirty years, and worked and was friends with one of the younger lads who arrived more recently. I have also used our local Polish club a fair few times, a huge place with everything you could want for a night out :D.

More to the point, I have chatted with those I was personal friends with, and a number of others...about the cultural differences and traditions between our two nationalities, and recently, the fishing issues as well. The opinions passed on to me were these....the Polish people in general see us Brits as slightly bonkers. They like us...but do NOT understand why we don't eat all the fish we catch, and why, if we don't want them, we don't let them have them :D:D It's a job to argue with that, in a way :D

They also see the law in a slightly different light....they do not accept laws as readily as the majority of us do (or did ). If they don't agree with a particular law because they see it as stupid or unfair, then they will ignore it if they can. Apparently this is despite the fact that their police are armed and are VERY different to our lot. If you get caught breaking the law there, by and large you are in for a pretty unpleasant experience I gather. A heritage from their former rulers that still lingers on I assume.

I guess we are different because of the different experiences we have been through that makes us what we are....but at the same time we are very similar, if that makes any sense. Sadly, the differences mean that in THEIR opinion, the Polish guy IS more likely to fish for his dinner....purely because he sees nothing wrong with that in principle. Again, that IS generalising, and no doubt some Polish folk would strongly disagree with that...I can only pass on THEIR opinions on the situation.

I have mumbled on interminably about my views on the slow decay of our system on another thread Kevin, but again I agree with you that there have ALWAYS been scumbags in this country, like those who gave your old Granddad a kicking. I was reading of a case recently of two young thugs who set out (armed with a pick handle and a hammer) with the deliberate intention of finding someone...anyone...to kill. Being the scum they are the picked on the most defenceless person they could find (a chap on his way to a church organ recital I believe) and they set about beating his head to a pulp...then were seen by horrified onlookers to walk off laughing and joking. Trust me Kevin...I am fully aware that there is no shortage of ****es like that in this country. Sadly, I think there are more of them now than ever.

Anyway, enough. You have bought a stove you say Kevin? Sounds pretty bleedin good to me :D Talk to you later.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave,

I accept what your saying but the difference is I've had a rant once or twice and you've had a lot more than this. I think the main thing I'm trying to say is that arguing on here should stop pal and ppl should get out fishing more, after all I thought this forum was meant to be educational as well (and once was) and should not be a place where a new poster is now too nervous to post without fear of reprisal. For this is the reason I left a well known barbel angling group.

All the best with your season.

Thanks for keeping an open mind Dave, Just for your information, initially three from here were banned and went on to set the site up, one or two after plus a few like me who posted regularly but were alarmed by what we saw as something that was beginning to become clique ridden and elitist. I find it mildly amusing that these guys, the ones we referred to as the Barbel police continued in their way and despite getting rid of the perceived wrong doers the forum continued to deteriorate until sometime later Andy changed the format and reversed the trend. The epitome of this was the boy who caught what he claimed to be a 17 pound Thames Barbel just after Guy Robb caught his. The vitriol from seriously high ranking members of the Barbel Police aimed against this lad was appalling. Ok he got it wrong, he forgot to deduct a fairly heavy carp sack. He was 15 at the time and probably wetting himself I would have been at that age. I thought his treatment inexcusable and as bad as the recently reported shenanigans reported on this site late last night that we darksiders are allegedly involved in.
Generally I like it now, apart from the occasional bat taker inner there is a little fun in the mix, that suites the 60 year old inner child that brakes the surface all too frequently.

Dave
The reason I get a bit hot under the collar about this is I am just old enough to remember two young men, English through and through beat the brown stuff out of my 55 year old Granddad. I was five at the time and I actually wet myself when I saw him about a week later the day he was let out of hospital. The crime this street justice was meted out for? He was a thick mick, a paddy, the EE of 50 years ago. Before that it was the yid, after it was the darky. Same bigotry different victims.
I will happily report anyone of any creed any colour if they break the law I did just before the start of this season, I don’t just moan and bellyache about it on here, I do something positive, see my phoned the EA today thread.
Regarding your mini rant about the “other side†you clearly have no understanding of it. It is not a Barbel fishing site, it isn’t even a fishing site. Our top river in the river report section does not exist. Any debate on landing net handles, nets hook pattern are banned in fact Barbel and handle are in the profanity filter. What we do have are some very good anglers and apart from one who will remain nameless no celebs. Not too sure about the number now but we once had 5 river records between us. Like most on there I never quite managed this growing up malarkey just to give you an insight my favourite pastime is sticking a worm on a hook tying said hook to some string and dangling it the water. I am so proficient at it the weekend just gone my mate and I sat doing just that for six hours. When I got home I discovered we were fishing the wrong lake.
Yes we use the odd profanity but you would be amazed at the list of regular and occasional posters we have on there. I know cos I am one of two mods. But what happens on tour stays on tour so you won’t find out from me or the other bloke. We did have another guy but Captain Hook caught him and I believe he is extremely sensible these days. The only people I have ever banned from there are bigots, misogynists and people who habitually howl at the moon, many more of the latter than the two former categories, although we do tolerate Arry, bless him.
My point? There are about 12 guys who post on here and in our little knitting circle. How many guys are you referring to as fishing for bites? Two? Three? Ever heard the expression tarred with the same brush?
PS the offer I made last season is still on, it’s even more attractive now, I bought a stove!

Well that's ironic, because I'm pretty certain I saw references to "Pakis" on one of the first posts I opened on there.

Paul,

It's like a tv programme- if you don't like it then dont watch it.

Whilst neither do I post nor understand most of what the guys on there are talking about I do know a few of them and they are top guys. I'm getting bored of ppl going on about this now can't we talk actual fishing?!?!

Paul,

It's like a tv programme- if you don't like it then dont watch it.

Whilst neither do I post nor understand most of what the guys on there are talking about I do know a few of them and they are top guys. I'm getting bored of ppl going on about this now can't we talk actual fishing?!?!

Oh, I won't. But I can still abhor everything it appears to stand for.

Paul,

Fair enough and you are entitled to that opinion pal. Out of interest, i'd be interested to know what your view is on the original subject matter of this thread and the other thread, whether it be EE's on this thread of members of that other site being described as "window lickers " on another. If you find the posts on that other site bad then surely some of the posts on here too must get your goat?

I think it's all nonsense and i'd like some posts up about actual fishing and not a witch hunt against the other site when i would say 99% of the BFW Posters that slate the "other" site do not know anything about the members of that site - a few of whom i owe a lot to with my fishing, as do others i know, and i bet if you met them in person you would become fond of too...

and if those regular "biters" followed the advice of others on here not to bite (i'm sure Steve Williams mentioned this) we wouldn't be talking about this stuff at all and would be conversing on subjects that benefit novice anglers and people like me that aren't novices but just pants at fishing .......

Last edited:
Thankfully it seems, I am in total ignorance about this "other site". Is it a camp site? I don't mean one containing rows of pink tents (oops).

To those that have expressed disquiet about the toxic, negative and thread high jacking posts that seem to be on the increase then its an easy fix. If the majority of members want this forum to be a positive place to visit, full of interesting and informative barbel (and related) chat, lively debate and good old fashioned banter and leg pulling, then lets make it so. It's easy to dilute the negativity with copious amounts of the positive thread building that the majority of us would like to see. Don't be put off by what others may post in response.

Catching barbel is brilliant. Did I tell you about my fabulous few days on the Wye....

It’s a very free forum Paul
If one person’s opinion clouds your judgement so heavily then please don’t go back again.
My personal opinion is it aint the word that’s bigoted, it’s the thought behind it.

I think I may be making a very good mate uncomfortable on the issue of discussion of the darkside on here so this is my last word about it.

Theres a female angler I Upton upon Severn who regularly takes zander for the pot. She is English so it's not just the ee Joe.

Patrick , Zander being a non native species there are no national byelaws to protect them . So in therory any one can take them for the pot and a lot of people do and its not illegal to do so . EA state that it is up to the individual whether they choose to return the fish to the water when caught .

I assume I am right in saying that over the years and there is evidence that our EE's cousins have been taking Barbel , Carp and other native fish for the pot and that is what is upsetting people .

I see on the BAA list of Bye-laws and regulations it states No course fish to be removed from Association waters with the exception of Zander .

I have taken the odd Zander home that had been deep hooked and very nice they were, much better I think to take one home than put it back in almost certain knowledge that the fish would die.

On the subject of fish taking and poaching I have had good and bad experience of both foreign and british anglers, the worst was being threatened by 3 people with foreign accents because I wouldn't give them a pike I had caught, luckily 2 of my sons diffused the situation, other times I have approached British anglers fishing out of season, I should have saved my breath ( and my phone call) I suppose the point I am trying to make is that there are good and bad in all nationalities, the fact that the OP mentioned the poachers were of EE origin really doesn't matter as they were.
if asked by authorities for a description of law breakers on a fishery and you knew they were from EE wouldn't that be right to include that in the description ?

Joe thanks for the post. Yes I was aware there a non native species, didn't know the EA policy thouvh so thank you.

Graham I think it's only fair to take it for the table if the unfortunate happens. Some say they are sensitive bites but the majority for me have been vicious barbel like takes. To date I've only had one go belly up on me. That fish is currently in my freezer awaiting a future bbq.

I am not old enough to have fished for them when this was the case but did anglers used to be able to claim a reward for killing a zander on the severn ?

I have taken the odd Zander home that had been deep hooked and very nice they were, much better I think to take one home than put it back in almost certain knowledge that the fish would die.

On the subject of fish taking and poaching I have had good and bad experience of both foreign and british anglers, the worst was being threatened by 3 people with foreign accents because I wouldn't give them a pike I had caught, luckily 2 of my sons diffused the situation, other times I have approached British anglers fishing out of season, I should have saved my breath ( and my phone call) I suppose the point I am trying to make is that there are good and bad in all nationalities, the fact that the OP mentioned the poachers were of EE origin really doesn't matter as they were.
if asked by authorities for a description of law breakers on a fishery and you knew they were from EE wouldn't that be right to include that in the description ?

Graham yes of course, if that’s the best you can do, a car reg numbers build, hair colour clothing would be better. Also you must get an incident number. It is just plain wrong though to make statements like all EE’s are poachers.

Graham yes of course, if that’s the best you can do, a car reg numbers build, hair colour clothing would be better. Also you must get an incident number. It is just plain wrong though to make statements like all EE’s are poachers.

I didnt think I had Kevin,

Joe thanks for the post. Yes I was aware there a non native species, didn't know the EA policy thouvh so thank you.

Graham I think it's only fair to take it for the table if the unfortunate happens. Some say they are sensitive bites but the majority for me have been vicious barbel like takes. To date I've only had one go belly up on me. That fish is currently in my freezer awaiting a future bbq.

Patrick as you say you have a Zander in your freezer awaiting a future bbq .
Most people dont have a problem with that and find it acceptable to take it for the pot .
Unless of course you have broken any club rules from where the fish came from .

I think I am right in saying that some anglers if you can call them that ?
Have taken Barbel and carp for the pot in the past and I am right in saying that no one on this website or any other serious barbel angler .
I would assume they would not even consider doing it even if it went belly up and died .

My point being even if some one on this site did take one for the pot .
Would they freely admit to it ? and why would they not admit it ? Because I would assume they would know what the out come would be .

Weren't barbel introduced to the Severn by the angling papers in the 60/70's does that make them illegal?

Genuinely if a barbel went belly up on. Me id rather take it for the pot than feed several predators ( not that man isnt the biggest)
Thankfully thats never happened.

Back